Importing and exporting policies and rule sets
Full policies or only rule sets can be exported to a .cab file that contains .json files. The .cab file can then be re-imported later. This makes it possible to:
- Transfer a security policy from a pre-production environment to a production environment,
- Transfer a policy or rule set to SES Evolution‘s technical support to make it easier to debug issues.
When you export a policy or rule set, you export the version selected in the right side of the panel, represented by the icon. When you import a custom policy or rule set that already exists, its version number will be incremented each time.
For further information on how to manage versions of policies and rule sets, refer to the section Managing versions of a policy or a rule set.
- In Policy, click on Export-Export all at the top of the panel.
- Select the folder to which you want to export the file.
The latest version of each policy will be exported in the form of an individual file named policy_name.cab.
- Select the policy(ies) to export in Policies.
- By default, the latest version of a policy will be exported. If you wish to export another version, select it in the right column of the policy’s general panel.
- Click on Export-Export the selection and choose the folder to which you want to export the file.
Each policy will be exported in the form of an individual file named policy_name.cab.
- To import a single policy or several policies at one go, select Policies and click on Import at the top of the panel.
Importing an existing policy will automatically create a new version of this policy, unless it is a built-in policy.
- Double-click on the policy in Policies, then select a set of rules.
- By default, the latest version of rule set will be exported. If you wish to export another version, select it in the right column.
- Click on Export and choose the name of the file and the folder to which you want to export the file.
- In Policies, click on View shared rule sets at the top on the right.
- Select the rule sets that you want to export, and/or filter the list of rule sets by using the search field at the top right side.
- Click on Export-Export all to export all the rule sets shown in the list, or Exporter-Export the selection if you have selected only a few rule sets.
- Select the folder to which you want to export the rule sets.
Each rule set will be exported in the form of an individual file named set_name.cab.
You cannot export several private rule sets at the same time.
- Double-click on the policy of your choice in Policies.
- In the general panel of the policy, click on Import and choose the .cab file of the rule set(s) that you want to import.
Importing an existing rule set will automatically create a new version of this set.
If it is a built-in rule set, it will create a new version only if it does not already exist.