Getting started with the SMC server
Welcome to the Stormshield Management Center administration guide version 2.8.2.
In the documentation, Stormshield Management Center is referred to in its short form: SMC, and Stormshield Network in its short form: SN.
To manage or maintain the SMC server, you can either connect to the web interface with a web browser or directly to the command line interface.
If you have forgotten your password, refer to the section Resetting "root" and administrator passwords.
- Connect to the IP address of the SMC server preceded by https://, from one of the following web browsers:
- Microsoft Edge, latest stable version,
- Google Chrome, latest stable version,
- Mozilla Firefox, latest stable version.
You can create several administrators for the SMC server’s web interface and grant them read/write or read-only access rights. For more information, refer to the section Managing administrators.
The SMC server allows:
- An unlimited number of read-only connections on the SMC server,
- One direct connection via SMC in read/write mode for each firewall,
- An unlimited number of direct connections via SMC in read-only mode for each firewall.
Connecting to the SMC server via the command line is required to perform maintenance or advanced operations on the server. You can connect:
- Via the console port your hypervisor,
- In SSH on port 22.
In both cases, connect with the “root” username and password specified when you initialized the server. For more information, refer to the Stormshield Management Center Installation Guide.
For details on commands that can be used to administer SMC, refer to the section Details of smc-xxx commands.
Your license determines the maximum number of firewalls that can simultaneously log on to the SMC server.
To install the license:
- Go to SMC server > License.
- Select the license file. If a license has already been installed, its information will appear.
- Click Apply.
- Situation: The SMC server rejects all new firewall connections but keeps ongoing connections.
- Cause: You do not have a license, your license has expired, or you may have reached the maximum number of firewalls allowed to connect to the server according to your license.
- Solution: Look up the server logs and contact your Stormshield support center in order to obtain a valid license. A tool tip and the Last activity column will also provide an indication.
- Situation: You have restored the configuration of the SMC server, and your license is no longer valid.
- Cause: During the restoration of the configuration, the license that was installed at time of the backup is restored. If it expired in the interim, you no longer have a valid license.
- Solution: Once you have restored the configuration, reinstall your most recent license.