Managing administrators in the web interface
Go to Maintenance > SMC Server > Administrators in the web administration interface to manage administrators. The panel displayed depends on whether you are connected to the server as the super administrator (“admin” user) or as another user.
There are three administrator profiles:
|Profile||Rights over administrators||Rights over configuration|
|Administrator with read/write access||Modify personal password||Add/Remove/Edit/Deploy|
|Administrator with read-only access||Modify personal password||Read only.|
Several administrators can be connected to the web interface at the same time with read/write access. As such, changes made by any administrator will instantly appear on the screens of the other administrators, including items imported via CSV file. Refer to audit logs for full details on what changes were made.
When an administrator deploys a configuration on firewalls, the other administrators see that a deployment is in progress and who launched it.
The super administrator holds all the rights and decides which administrators are granted access:
- to the SMC web interface in read/write or read-only mode,
- to the firewall web interface in read/write or read-only mode.
Go to the Administrators panel:
- To add an administrator, click Add an administrator.
- To edit an administrator profile, double click the administrator line or move the mouse over the administrator name and select the pen icon .
- To remove an administrator, move the mouse over the administrator name and click on the red cross .
The admin user cannot be removed.
Only the super administrator is allowed to update the SMC server from the web administration interface.
Only the super administrator can set the password policy by choosing:
- The minimum number of characters required: the password can contain between one and 128 characters. A minimum of eight characters is required by default.
- The mandatory character types: alphanumeric, alphabetic and special or none. No character types are mandatory by default.
When a new SMC server is deployed, the password of the super administrator in the server initialization wizard must also contain at least eight characters.
To set a password policy:
- Go to Maintenance > SMC Server > Administrators, and click on Edit password policy,
- Select the minimum number of characters required,
- Select the mandatory character types.
The password policy applies to all administrators.
Passwords that were set before this policy was applied will remain valid but we recommend that you change them to comply with the set policy.
The 128-character limit also applies to administrators’ logins and names.