Automatically protecting local folder content
Automatic protection can be enabled on folders on your workstation so that all sub-folders and files that you place there will be systematically protected.
This feature depends on the File feature and cannot run without it.
- In Windows Explorer, right-click on the local folder that you wish to protect and select Stormshield Data Security > Automatically protect folder.
The Selection of peers window opens with only your name because by default you are the only person allowed to decrypt the folder's content.
If you wish to share the content of the protected folder with other users, enter their names in the search field. The search displays users specified in the trusted address book as well as users from the LDAP directory if it has been configured.
- Click on OK.
A protection rule will be created, containing the path to the file as well as the user or list of users allowed to decrypt its content.
All new files and folders that are moved to this folder will now be automatically encrypted. A blue padlock appears on their icons.
- If you wish to encrypt all existing files and folders as well before enabling automatic protection, right-click on the protected folder and select Stormshield Data Security > Advanced > Apply changes to the entire folder.
If certain files in the folder were already protected earlier, the following rules will apply:
- Users who were allowed to access these files will be replaced with those specified by the more recent protection rule.
- Files that are already encrypted, and which you are not allowed to access, will not be processed.
- Files encrypted in .sbox format will not be processed.
If you move the folder and its content, the protection rule will be updated. All the content remains protected and automatic protection will remain enabled on the folder.
- In Windows Explorer, right-click on the folder for which you wish to manage the list of authorized co-workers.
- Select Stormshield Data Security > Edit the automatic protection rule.
- In the Selection of peers window, add or remove users who are allowed to decrypt the content of the folder. Enter their name in the search field.
- Click on OK.
The folder and files that it contains can now be accessed by all the users that you have authorized.
- If you wish apply this change to all existing files and folders as well, right-click on the protected folder and select Stormshield Data Security > Advanced > Apply changes to the entire folder.
- From Windows explorer, right-click on the folder on which you wish to disable automatic protection. This folder must not be located in a synchronized space that was automatically protected by the administrator, and you must be authorized to access it.
- Select Stormshield Data Security > Advanced > Disable protection on the folder.
When you disable protection on a folder, the files that it contains remain encrypted. However, all new files that you add to it will no longer be automatically encrypted.