Protecting access to files in the cloud
- When a file containing confidential information is stored on your personal computer. When you wish to store it securely in a shared space that SDS for C&M supports.
- When you wish to share files securely with other users through a shared space supported by SDS for C&M.
- When you edit Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint files and wish to store them securely in a shared space directly from Word, Excel or PowerPoint.
- From the file explorer (or the Finder on macOS), right-click on the file you wish to protect and share and select Stormshield Data Security > Protect access and share.
- In the Protect access and share window, select the shared space in which you want to share the file.
- Log into your shared space if it is the first time you are sharing a file and enable access to SDS for C&M.
- In the Folder panel, select a location to publish the file. The File panel displays the files already stored in the selected folder. You can change the name of the file displayed in the shared space at the bottom of the window. Click on Next.
- In the next window, select the users other than yourself allowed to edit the file. For OneDrive, SharePoint and Dropbox spaces, users who have access to the shared space appear by default in the list of users authorized to edit the file. Edit it if necessary.
- In the Search for user field, enter the full or partial names of the users who will be granted access to the files and select them from the list that appears.
- or -
If your security policy allows it, you can select external users who do not have SDS for C&M licenses. Enter their full e-mail addresses in the Search for user field. For more information, refer to the section Protecting and sharing files with external users.
- Next to the names of users, select Allowed to modify access and content if you wish to grant them full access to the protected file, i.e., privileges to modify file content and access to the file. By default, external users can only modify content .
The file is protected in its original location, and send to the shared space. If the file to share is read-only or located in a read-only folder, it is protected on the shared space, but not in the original location.
If you cannot find a user in the list, refer to the section Users cannot be found in the list.
If a key has availability or validity issues, refer to the section The application indicates issues with keys.
This feature is available for versions of Office above 2016.
- The first time you run Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint, a window will appear asking you if you wish to install the Stormshield Data Security for Cloud & Mobility customization.
- Click on Install to accept.
- Work in your file as you normally would.
- Once you have finished, go to the menu File > Share > Share securely, then click on the Share securely button.
The Protect access and share menu window appears.
- Follow the procedure To protect access and share confidential files from step 2 onwards.
The file will be sent protected in the shared space, but will not be protected at its initial location.