Declaring the security administrator
Only in built-in key management mode, after you have declared the SDS for C&M global administrator, you must declare the security administrator. The roles of this user are the following:
- Helpdesk: He can assign a new password to a user who has forgotten the password associated with his SDS for C&M account,
- Recovery: He can grant access to all the protected files of one user to another user, for example if the former user has left the company.
- Delegation of these roles: He can assign the Helpdesk and/or Recovery roles to other users. For more information, please refer to the section Assigning Helpdesk and Recovery roles.
The security administrator is essential in order for SDS for C&M to run. If you lose the login credentials to this user's account, the account cannot be recovered or unblocked. We therefore advise that you comply with these recommendations:
- This user must be the first to use the SDS for C&M client on a mobile device or workstation, and therefore the first to be registered on the SDMC server and to enable his account. He must then log on at least once to SDS for C&M. As long as he has not been fully configured, no other user will be able to activate his account.
- Protect this user's account with a strong password and ensure that you never lose this password.
- Do not use this account to protect or share files. This is not a standard user account and must be exclusively reserved for security management.
- Install the SDS for C&M agent on at least one workstation. For more information, please refer to the section Deploying the SDS for C&M client for the end user.
- On a macOS workstation, click on in the menu bar, then click on the gear wheel to choose the Connect menu.
On a Windows workstation, right-click on in the notification area in the taskbar and select the Connect menu.
- In the Welcome window, click on Create your account, then on Next.
- In the window that appears, enter the email address of the security administrator. This address must be dedicated to this user, so choose for example firstname.lastname@example.org. Click on Next.
- Confirm that this will be the address of the recovery account.
- Enter a first and last name, then click on Next.
- In the Protect your account window, choose a strong password that will adequately secure this account.
- You will receive an e-mail at the e-mail address that you have specified. Check your mailbox to confirm your e-mail address and activate your SDS for C&M account. If you did not receive the e-mail, please check your spam mailbox.
The security administrator is now registered on the SDMC server, and has been granted the and roles. He can also delegate these roles to other users.
- Log on with this account to SDS for C&M to generate recovery data. This account must be enabled and must log on at least once so that other users can enable their own accounts.
The security administrator account can be used to change passwords, grant access to other users or assign the Helpdesk and Recovery roles to other users. For more information, refer to the sections Retrieving users' passwords, Recovering user accounts and Assigning Helpdesk and Recovery roles.