Installing and configuring the Microsoft Windows client on workstations
The SDS for C&M client is supported on:
Windows 10 versions 1909 and 2004.
Before installing the SDS for C&M client, ensure that you have met the following conditions:
- The client workstation must be healthy and its operating system must be up to date,
- You have at least 200 MB of disk space,
- Administration privileges are required,
- If you are deploying the client via an msi file, you need to install the Redistributable Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 package first.
- The graphics driver requires OpenGL 2.1 or a later version.
- If you are deploying the client through a Windows group policy, ensure that you apply the policy to computers,
- No other SDS for C&M instance with the same version number must be installed on the workstation.
- If you wish to use SDS for C&M with Stormshield Data Security Enterprise, a version in 9.1.0 or higher must be installed beforehand on the workstation (the most recent version of the product is recommended),
- To enable users to look up online help, access to the URL https://documentation.stormshield.eu/ must be allowed on the client.
- In the server's administration interface, select the Downloads menu on the left.
- From the Desktop section, click on the link corresponding to your operating system (i.e., .msi or .exe) to download the installation file.
- Run the downloaded file on the users’ workstations.
The Stormshield Data Security for Cloud & Mobility client will be installed for all the users of a workstation. If you are installing it via a GPO, use a group policy for computers.
- Restart the workstations to complete the installation.
SDS for C&M user data will be saved in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Stormshield\Stormshield Data Security.
The Stormshield Data Security Microsoft add-in allows users to share Word, Excel or PowerPoint files securely in a shared space directly from the Microsoft application. It is available for versions of Office above 2016.
This add-in is installed at the same time as the SDS for C&M client for Microsoft Windows.
The user must accept the activation of the add-in the first time Word, Excel or PowerPoint is used.
This add-in can be enabled/disabled at any time:
- Open Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint on the client workstation.
- Go to File > Options > Add-Ins.
- In the Manage field of the Options, window, select COM Add-Ins and click on Go.
- In the COM Add-Ins, select the Stormshield Data Security checkbox to enable the protection feature, or uncheck the checkbox to disable it.
To force the activation or deactivation of the feature when deploying clients via GPO, use the following registry keys:
- HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\Stormshield Data for Excel,
- HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\PowerPoint\Addins\Stormshield Data for PowerPoint,
- HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\Stormshield Data for Word.
Set the LoadBehaviour value to 3 to enable the add-in, or to 2 to disable it.
The add-in uninstalls automatically during the uninstallation of the SDS for C&M client for Microsoft Windows.
If you are using the setup.exe file to install the Microsoft Windows client, the installation program will prompt you to select the language of the client.
If you are using the .msi file, run the installation via command line and set the
ProductLanguage property to the desired language code:
- English: code 1033 (default value),
- French: code 1036
msiexec /i "Stormshield Data Security for Cloud 3.3 SP1.msi" ProductLanguage=1036
This property only applies to the client language, not to the installation program language.
Even if SDS Enterprise has been installed on Windows workstations, you can still use it in standalone mode.
- Edit the file C:\Program Files\Stormshield\Stormshield Data Security\Settings.json.
- Look for the parameter forceStandalone, and replace the value false with true:
Do not modify any other parameter in this file.
- Restart your Windows session so that standalone mode will be applied.
To ensure that the SDS for C&M client runs properly, ensure that network communication between the client and the SDMC server via port 443 is allowed.
- Situation: The installation process of the client ends with two error messages: “Error 1904. Module C:\Users\AppData\Local\Stormshield\StormshieldData Security\UIShellContextMenu.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147024770. Contact technical support.", then "Could not start the program as api-ms-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll could not be found on your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this issue.".
- Cause: This problem applies to both Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 and 8.1 operating systems. The update package for Universal C Runtime in Windows is missing to complete the installation of the client.
- Solution: The update is automatically available from Windows Update. Check Windows Update is up and running on workstations or manually install the package: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2999226.
- Situation: In Microsoft Windows 7, the error The administration server cannot be reached occurs.
- Cause: It may be that the security protocol has not been specified to secure client-server communications. Only SSLv3 and TLS 1.0 are enabled by default.
- Solution: Install the Microsoft KB3140245 via Easy fix. This would make it possible to force the use of other versions of TLS by adding the appropriate registry keys.
- Situation: When using SDS for C&M, text, images or graphics are too large, too small, or other issues with display arise.
- Solution: Ensure that you have updated your graphics drivers. If issues persist or your hardware is in a version that is too old, please refer to this article in the knowledge base: Some fonts do not display correctly, some graphical issues or SDS for Cloud & Mobility uses 10% of the CPU as soon as it connects even when there is no activity.