Installing and configuring the Microsoft Windows client on workstations
The SDS for C&M client is supported on:
- Microsoft Windows 7,
- Microsoft Windows 8.1,
- Microsoft Windows 10 (versions 1809 and 1903).
Before installing the SDS for C&M client, ensure that you have met the following conditions:
- You have at least 200 MB of disk space,
- You need administration privileges to install the client for all users, but not if you are installing only for the current user,
- If you are deploying the client via an msi file, you need to install the Redistributable Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 package first.
- The graphics driver requires OpenGL 2.1 or a later version.
- If you are deploying the client through a Windows group policy for all users, ensure that you apply the policy to computers.
- No other SDS for C&M instance with the same version number must be installed on the workstation.
- If you wish to use SDS for C&M with Stormshield Data Security Enterprise, a version in 9.1.0 or higher must have been installed beforehand on the workstation (the most recent version of the product is recommended).
- In the server's administration interface, select the Downloads menu on the left.
- From the Desktop section, click on the link corresponding to your operating system (i.e., .msi or .exe) to download the installation file.
- Install the client for Microsoft Windows on users' workstations using the downloaded file.
You can choose to install the client:
- For All system users: This type of installation requires administration privileges. Select it if you wish to install the automatic protection feature to protect folders or synchronized spaces. For more information, see the section Configuring automatic file protection.
- For the current user only: This type of installation does not require administration privileges, but does not allow the use of either automatic folder protection, automatic shared space protection or the SDS Microsoft Office add-in.
The Stormshield Data Security Microsoft add-in allows users to share Word, Excel or PowerPoint files securely in a shared space directly from the Microsoft application. It is available for versions of Office above 2016.
This add-in is installed at the same time as the SDS for C&M client for Microsoft Windows if it had been installed for All system users.
The user must accept the activation of the add-in the first time Word, Excel or PowerPoint is used.
This add-in can be enabled/disabled at any time:
- Open Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint on the client workstation.
- Go to File > Options > Add-Ins.
- In the Manage field of the Options, window, select COM Add-Ins and click on Go.
- In the COM Add-Ins, select the Stormshield Data Security checkbox to enable the protection feature, or uncheck the checkbox to disable it.
To force the activation or deactivation of the feature when deploying clients via GPO, use the following registry keys:
- HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\Stormshield Data for Excel,
- HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\PowerPoint\Addins\Stormshield Data for PowerPoint,
- HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\Stormshield Data for Word.
Set the LoadBehaviour value to 3 to enable the add-in, or to 2 to disable it.
The add-in uninstalls automatically during the uninstallation of the SDS for C&M client for Microsoft Windows.
If you are using the setup.exe file to install the Microsoft Windows client, the installation program will prompt you to select the language of the client.
If you are using the .msi file, run the installation via command line and set the
ProductLanguage property to the desired language code:
- English: code 1033 (default value),
- French: code 1036
msiexec /i "Stormshield Data Security for Cloud 3.1.msi" ProductLanguage=1036
This property only applies to the client language, not to the installation program language.
Even if SDS Enterprise has been installed on Windows workstations, you can still use it in standalone mode.
- Edit the following file:
- Installation for all users: C:\Program Files\Stormshield\Stormshield Data Security\Settings.json,
- Installation for yourself: %localappdata%\Programs\ Stormshield\Stormshield Data Security\Settings.json.
Do not modify any other parameter in this file.
To ensure that the SDS for C&M client runs properly, ensure that network communication between the client and the SDMC server via port 443 is allowed.
- Situation: The installation process of the client ends with two error messages: “Error 1904. Module C:\Users\AppData\Local\Stormshield\StormshieldData Security\UIShellContextMenu.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147024770. Contact technical support.", then "Could not start the program as api-ms-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll could not be found on your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this issue.".
- Cause: This problem applies to both Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 and 8.1 operating systems. The update package for Universal C Runtime in Windows is missing to complete the installation of the client.
- Solution: The update is automatically available from Windows Update. Check Windows Update is up and running on workstations or manually install the package: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2999226.
- Situation: In Microsoft Windows 7, the error The administration server cannot be reached occurs.
- Cause: It may be that the security protocol has not been specified to secure client-server communications. Only SSLv3 and TLS 1.0 are enabled by default.
- Solution: Install the Microsoft KB3140245 via Easy fix. This would make it possible to force the use of other versions of TLS by adding the appropriate registry keys.
- Situation: When using SDS for C&M, text, images or graphics are too large, too small, or other issues with display arise.
- Solution: Ensure that you have updated your graphics drivers. If issues persist or your hardware is in a version that is too old, please refer to this article in the knowledge base: Some fonts do not display correctly, some graphical issues or SDS for Cloud & Mobility uses 10% of the CPU as soon as it connects even when there is no activity.