Declaring the Helpdesk and Recovery user
Only in built-in key management mode, after you have declared the SDS for C&M administrator, you must declare the Helpdesk and Recovery user. The roles of this user are the following:
- Helpdesk: He can assign a new password to a user who has forgotten the password associated with his SDS for C&M account,
- Recovery: He can grant access to all the protected files of one user to another user, for example if the former user has left the company.
The Helpdesk and Recovery user is essential to the proper operation of SDS for C&M. If you lose the login credentials to this user's account, the account cannot be recovered or unblocked. We therefore advise that you comply with these recommendations:
- This user must be the first to use the SDS for C&M client on a mobile device or workstation, and therefore the first to be registered on the SDMC server and to enable his account. Next, he must log on at least once to SDS for C&M in order to allow other users to enable their accounts.
- Protect this user's account with a strong password and ensure that you never lose this password.
- Do not use this account to protect or share files. This is not a standard user account and must be exclusively reserved for password modification and recovery.
- Install the SDS for C&M agent on at least one workstation. For more information, refer to the section Deploying the SDS for C&M client for the end user.
- On a macOS workstation, click on in the menu bar, then click on the gear wheel to choose the Connect menu.
On a Windows workstation, right-click on in the notification area in the taskbar and select the Connect menu.
- In the Welcome window, click on Create your account, then on Next.
- In the window that appears, enter the email address of the Helpdesk and Recovery user. This address must be dedicated to this user, so choose for example email@example.com. Click on Next.
- Enter a first and last name, then click on Next.
- In the Protect your account window, choose a strong password that will adequately secure this account.
- You will receive an email at the email address that you have specified. Check your mailbox to confirm your email address and activate your SDS for C&M account. If you did not receive the email, please check your spam mailbox.
The Helpdesk and Recovery user is essential to the proper operation of SDMC. The and roles are assigned to him.
- Log on with this account to SDS for C&M to generate recovery data. This account must be enabled and must log on at least once so that other users can enable their own accounts.
The Helpdesk and recovery account may be used for changing passwords or granting access to other users. For more information, refer to the sections Modifying users' passwords and Recovering user accounts.